ENERGY INVESTOR CONFERENCE 2021
Wednesday, 23 June 2021
for project developers and investors
Learn about the clean energy investment opportunities in Maldives!
MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT, CLIMATE CHANGE AND TECHNOLOGY
THE WORLD BANK
INTERNATIONAL SOLAR ALLIANCE
The Government of the Republic of Maldives (GoM) has embarked on an ambitious path to transform the country’s power sector to address the climate emergency and ensure a safe, sustainable, resilient and prosperous future. Under its Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC), the country aims to achieve net-zero emissions by 2030, with adequate international aid and resources.
KEY ACTION PLANS UNDER THE NDC:
- Establishing efficient transport management system and promoting hybrid vehicles
- Upgrading existing power infrastructure –target of reducing grid loss to at least 5%
- Increasing electricity production by renewable energy (RE) with storage and grid stabilization
- Ensuring 15% of RE in the energy mix
- Establishing waste-to-energy plants such as 8 MW in Thilafushi and 1.5 MW in Addu City and integrating them to the grid
- Ensuring resilience and climate proofing of critical infrastructure